Of deeds and faith
“What good is it, my brothers, if a man claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save him?
Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food.
If one of you says to him, “Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed,” but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it?
In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.
But someone will say, “You have faith; I have deeds.” Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by what I do.
You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that—and shudder.
You foolish man, do you want evidence that faith without deeds is useless?” James 2:14-20.
As Christians. As believers in Christ Jesus we are called to help those in need. I like what the Talmud a Jewish book states,
"Rabbi Akiba was asked by a Roman general, "Why does your God who loves the needy not provide for their support Himself?" He answered, "God the Father of both the rich and poor, wants the one to help the other so as to make the world a household of love." The Talmud.
We need to do our best to help those in need. Be it giving to a reputable charity or even giving a handful of change to someone begging on the street.
We should never judge the poor because we don’t know how or why they are poor. We should never judge a homeless person on the street saying to ourselves that the money we give him or her will be spent on drugs or alcohol. That’s not our place. We should give without judgment.
Tony Campolo wrote,
"These issues are biblical issues: to care for the sick, to feed the hungry, to stand up for the oppressed. I contend that if the evangelical community became more biblical, everything would change." Tony Campolo.
So my question to you dear reader is, do you help the poor?
Please think about it.

No comments:
Post a Comment