About Me

My photo
Canada
A believer in Christ Jesus for over forty years.

Friday 25 May 2018

Who do you think Jesus is?

Who do you think Jesus is?
Matthews gospel records this conversation between Jesus and the apostle Peter. He notes,
“When Jesus came to the region of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, “Who do people say the Son of Man is?” 
They replied, “Some say John the Baptist; others say Elijah; and still others, Jeremiah or one of the prophets.” 
“But what about you?” he asked. “Who do you say I am?” 
Simon Peter answered, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.” Matthew 16:13-16
John’s gospel records a conversation between Jesus and Martha
“Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies;  and whoever lives and believes in me will never die. Do you believe this?”
“Yes Lord” she told Him, “I believe you are the Christ the Son of God, who was to come into the world,” John 11:25,26,27.
John’s gospel also records this incident,
“The Jews gathered around him, saying, “How long will you keep us in suspense? If you are the Christ, tell us plainly.” 
Jesus answered, “I did tell you, but you do not believe. The miracles I do in my Father’s name speak for me, but you do not believe because you are not my sheep.  
My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me.  
I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of my hand.  
My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of my Father’s hand. I and the Father are one.” John 10:24-30.
In each of the quotes above the gospel writers makes it clear that Jesus is the Christ, the Messiah. They even quote Jesus as saying he is one with God. God incarnate.
The New Testament does not shy away from saying who Jesus is. The writer of Hebrews not only says who Jesus is but tells us why he came to this earth. He writes,
“In the past God spoke to our forefathers through the prophets at many times and in various ways, but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, and through whom he made the universe.  
The Son is the radiance of God’s glory and the exact representation of his being, sustaining all things by his powerful word. After he had provided purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty in heaven.” Hebrews 1:1-3.
Note the writer tells us that Jesus is the exact representation of God. That he provided purification of sins.
True believers in Christ Jesus believe this. The question however becomes do you believe this?
What I would ask of you is to please before you decide who Jesus is, take sometime to read the New Testament and find out what the early followers of Jesus, men who witnessed his life first hand had to say about him?
Please think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment